Monday, July 18, 2005

Awaiting The Morning Star

Here's another painting....thanks for the requests, it's nice to know you enjoy them. This work is made with built up medium, music transcript, gold leaf, ancient legal documents, oil paint, guauche, and finally, relief sculpture. The whole thing is on a 5'x4' plywood structure that hangs flush to the wall. This painting was a real watershed for me..it was one of those works that I had to fight with and finally, only after much anguish and frustration, did it show me how it wanted to be. I won't say that its final form came to me in a dream, it was actually during a telephone call that I hadn't wanted to answer...... between my running from the studio to pick up the phone and returning to the studio 5 minutes later everything changed....a bit like Athena springing fully formed from the forehead of Zeus or something.